Migration, 31 May 2008
The "Regional Conference on Refugee Protection and International Migration in the Gulf of Aden" was held on May 19-20, 2008 in Sana'a, Yemen. It was convened by UNHCR in cooperation with the Mixed Migration Task Force Somalia, an inter-agency coordination mechanism, and with funding from the European Commission. Its principal objective was to contribute to the establishment of a regional medium and longer term plan of action on refugee protection and mixed migration in the Gulf of Aden region. In plenary and in eight different working groups, representatives from both sides of the Gulf of Aden made recommendations on how best to meet these challenges and how cross-regional cooperation could be improved.
Below is a copy of the binder distributed at the conference as well as several documents generated during and after the meeting.
1. MAIN CONFERENCE DOCUMENTS
2. MIXED MIGRATION TASK FORCE SOMALIA: MIXED MIGRATION THROUGH SOMALIA AND ACROSS THE GULF OF ADEN
3. UNHCR TEN-POINT PLAN ON MIXED MIGRATION AND REFUGEE PROTECTION
4. REFUGEE PROTECTION AND MIXED MIGRATION IN THE GULF OF ADEN REGION: DRAFT STRATEGIES
5. BACKGROUND INFORMATION ON MIXED MIGRATION
6. SELECTED LEGAL AND POLICY RESOURCES
International Refugee Law
International Human Rights Law
International Law of the Sea
Regional Migration Law and Policy
7. MEDIA COVERAGE
Download the collection of conference documents in zipped format for offline browsing and/or printing here: Regional Conference on Refugee Protection and International Migration in the Gulf of Aden [zipped file, 10Mb]
Conference posters: download the conference poster series [zipped file, 9.3Mb]