Call for Nominations
(Currently closed, 2014 nominations will open in 17th September 2013)
Do you know of anybody who has gone beyond the call of duty and shown outstanding dedication and service to the refugee cause? Or maybe a group of people or an organization?
Any person can nominate candidates (individuals, groups of people or organizations) Self-nominations and nominations of current or former UNHCR staff are not encouraged.
The independent Nansen Refugee Award Committee, chaired by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, selects the annual laureate by a unanimous or majority decision.
- H.E.Ms Alicia Arango Olmos, Ambassador, 2013 Chairman of UNHCR's Executive Committee
- H.E. Mr. Steffan Kongstad, Ambassador/ Permanent Representative of Norway to the United Nations Office at Geneva
- Mr. Bjørn Berge, Director of the Private Office of the Secretary General and the Deputy Secretary General, Council of Europe
- Mr. Urs von Arb, Director International Cooperation, Federal Department of Justice and Police (FDJP), Federal Office For Migration (FOM), Switzerland
- Ms. Nan Buzard, Executive Director, International Council of Voluntary Agencies (ICVA)
Ms. Bethany Bell,
2013 Guest member
Mr. António Guterres,
High Commissioner, UNHCR
Chair of the Nansen Refugee Award Committee
Mr. Daniel Endres,
Director, Division of External Relations, UNHCR
Vice-Chair of the Nansen Refugee Award Committee
Ms. Ingrid Prestetun,
Coordinator, Nansen Refugee Award Programme, UNHCR Geneva
Secretary to the Nansen Refugee Award Committee
What distinguishes the Nansen Refugee Award laureate?
Each laureate for the Nansen Refugee Award is selected in line with the following:
- The deed for which the person/entity is nominated should either take place outside the framework of normal professional duties and/or go beyond the call of duty;
- It should demonstrate courage;
- It should raise awareness for refugees; and
- It should, in a significant way, benefit the beneficiaries the Awardee serves and possibly also the country/area where the Awardee operates.