Micronutrient deficiencies represent a largely invisible but often crippling form of malnutrition, affecting birth and maternal outcomes and child development and learning potential.
Iron deficiency anaemia and vitamin A deficiency are amongst the most visible forms of micronutrient deficiencies in refugee populations, but these are just the tip of the iceberg and in reality the refugee populations often suffer from multiple micronutrient deficiencies.
The High Commissioner for Refugees has put a high priority on improving the nutritional status of refugee populations and decreasing the burden of anaemia and other micronutrient deficiencies.
- Note for the Record: Anaemia Meeting, UNHCR and WFP, Geneva, Thursday 12 March 2009
- UNHCR Strategic Plan for Anaemia Prevention, Control and Reduction: Reducing the Global Burden of Anaemia in Refugee Populations 2008-2010
- Preventing and controlling micronutrient deficiencies in populations affected by an emergency: Multiple vitamin and mineral supplements for pregnant and lactating women, and for children aged 6 to 59 months
- WHO Statement: Iron supplementation of young children in regions where malaria transmission is intense and infectious disease highly prevalent
- Community-based management of severe acute malnutrition: A joint statement by the World Health Organization, the World Food Programme, the United Nations System Standing Committee on Nutrition and the United Nations Children's Fund
- Joint Statement by the Micronutrient Initiative, International Nutrition Foundation and the Sprinkles Global Health Initiative at Sick Kids: Home Fortification with Multiple Micronutrients: Effectively Preventing Iron Deficiency Anaemia in Infants and Young Children
- Assessing micronutrient deficiencies in emergencies: Current practice and future directions. Nutrition Information in Crisis Situations: October 2007
- A Manual: Measuring and Interpreting Malnutrition and Mortality
- Micronutrient Malnutrition: Detection, Measurement and Intervention. A Taining Package for Field Staff. Handouts for Group Training
- Micronutrient Malnutrition: Detection, Measurement and Intervention. A Taining Package for Field Staff. Photo-cards for Printing
- Micronutrient Malnutrition: Detection, Measurement and Intervention. A Training Package for Field Staff. Training Presentation