Evaluation and Research
Policy Development and Evaluation
Based in Geneva, UNHCR's small Policy Development and Evaluation Service is committed to the systematic examination and assessment of UNHCR policies, programmes, projects and practices. PDES also promotes rigorous research on issues related to the work of UNHCR and encourages an active exchange of ideas and information between humanitarian practitioners, policymakers and the research community.
All of these activities are undertaken with the purpose of strengthening UNHCR's operational effectiveness, thereby enhancing the organization's capacity to fulfil its mandate on behalf of refugees and other persons of concern to the Office. The work of the unit is guided by the principles of transparency, independence, consultation, relevance and integrity.
Areas covered by PDES since mid-2012 include: Emergency response; protection and solutions; urban refugees; protracted refugee situations; refugee youth; sexual and gender-based violence; external relations and advisory functions.
- Building Communities of Practice for Urban Refugees, Asia Regional Workshop Report
- Building Communities of Practice for Urban Refugees, Africa Regional Workshop Report
- Who's side are you on? Discussion paper on UNHCR's policy and practice of incentive payments to refugees.
- Why do children undertake the unaccompanied journey?
- A review of UNHCR's utilisation of the Central Emergency Response Fund
- Forced Migration and the Myanmar Peace Process. Ashley South & Kim Jolliffe
- Asylum in the Republic of Croatia one year after accession to the European Union. Jasna Barberić
- Tested at the Margins: the Contingent Rights of Displaced Iraqi Children in Jordan. Jason Hart and Anna Kvittingen
- Ceasefires and durable solutions in Myanmar: a lessons learned review.
Commentary: IDPs and refugees in the current Myanmar peace process
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and the Refugee Determination Process in Canada: Starting the discourse. Dr. Julian Gojer, Adam Ellis
A collection of UNHCR policy statements on key global and thematic issues.
- UNHCR Policy on Alternatives to Camps
- UNHCR Age, Gender and Diversity Policy: Working with people and communities for equality and protection
- UNHCR Action to Address Statelessness - A Strategy Note
- UNHCR policy on refugee protection and solutions in urban areas
- UNHCR Policy Paper: Climate change, natural disasters and human displacement: a UNHCR perspective
A wide-ranging collection of UNHCR documents on the issue of protracted refugee situations.