Evaluation and Research
Policy Development and Evaluation
Based in Geneva, UNHCR's small Policy Development and Evaluation Service is committed to the systematic examination and assessment of UNHCR policies, programmes, projects and practices. PDES also promotes rigorous research on issues related to the work of UNHCR and encourages an active exchange of ideas and information between humanitarian practitioners, policymakers and the research community.
All of these activities are undertaken with the purpose of strengthening UNHCR's operational effectiveness, thereby enhancing the organization's capacity to fulfil its mandate on behalf of refugees and other persons of concern to the Office. The work of the unit is guided by the principles of transparency, independence, consultation, relevance and integrity.
Areas covered by PDES since mid-2012 include: Emergency response; protection and solutions; urban refugees; protracted refugee situations; refugee youth; sexual and gender-based violence; external relations and advisory functions.
- Bridge over troubled desert: A review of the UNHCR confidence building measures programme in the Western Sahara Territory and in the refugee camps near Tindouf
- The labour market integration of resettled refugees
- A review of the implementation of UNHCR's urban refugee policy in Ecuador
- Back to where you once belonged - A historical review of UNHCR policy and practice on refugee repatriation
- Great expectations: A review of the strategic use of resettlement
- History, overview, trends and issues in major Somali refugee displacements in the near region SUMMARY
- History, overview, trends and issues in major Somali refugee displacements in the near region.
- Accommodating the internally displaced in south-central Albania in 1918. Beryl Nicholson
- Remittances as informal aid: Livelihoods and migration in a Liberian refugee camp. Micah M. Trapp
- Postmillenial UNHCR refugee resettlement: New developments and old challenges. Haruno Nakashiba
A collection of UNHCR policy statements on key global and thematic issues.
- UNHCR Age, Gender and Diversity Policy: Working with people and communities for equality and protection
- UNHCR Action to Address Statelessness - A Strategy Note
- UNHCR policy on refugee protection and solutions in urban areas
- UNHCR Policy Paper: Climate change, natural disasters and human displacement: a UNHCR perspective
- UNHCR's Role in Support of the Return and Reintegration of Displaced Populations: Policy Framework and Implementation Strategy
A wide-ranging collection of UNHCR documents on the issue of protracted refugee situations.