Health Information System
Using Information to Protect Refugee Health
UNHCR's Health Information System (HIS) is a standardized tool to design, monitor and evaluate refugee public health and HIV programmes. The aim is to improve the health status of people of concern to UNHCR, through evidence-based policy formulation, improved management of health programmes and, ultimately, direct actions that improve refugee health.
At the start of 2010, HIS is operational in 18 countries and monitors health services provided to some 1.5 million camp-based refugees. An emergency version of the HIS has also been developed. It is currently being piloted within the IDP operation in North Kivu and in emergency response operations in the Republic of the Congo and Central Africa Republic (CAR).
If you have any questions or require further information on the Health Information System (HIS), please contact us at E-mail HIS. Visit UNHCR's French language website here for HIS documents in French.
- Laboratory Services in UNHCR-Supported Primary Health Care Facilities. Principles and Guidelines [French]
- UNHCR's Essential Medicines and Medical Supplies Policy and Guidelines 2011 [French]
- Epidemic Preparednes and Response in Refugee Camp Settings. Guidance for Public Health Officers [French]
- Joint Statement: Scaling up the community-based health workforce for emergencies, October 2011
- Ensuring Access to Health Care: Operational Guidance on Refugee Protection and Solutions in Urban Areas [French Spanish]
Download the most recent software upgrades and user guides.