IP Procurement Guidelines
Implementing Partner Procurement Guidelines
UNHCR's policy is to limit purchasing by Implementing Partners (IPs) to only those occasions when the IP has a clear proven advantage, such as awareness of local conditions or specific technical expertise.
IPs wishing to procure on behalf of UNHCR should read the IP Procurement Guidelines (English (December 2004) and French (November 2001)) first in their entirety. IPs can conduct procurement on behalf of UNHCR under either of the following conditions:
- Strict adherence to the UNHCR Procurement Guidelines for Implementing Partners through the signing of a Sub-Agreement
- Pre-qualification on the basis of their own IP procurement procedures submitted for evaluation by UNHCR
Evaluation of the IP procurement policy and procedures is based on the principle that an IP, who is entrusted with funds donated to UNHCR to implement procurement activities, should have comparable policy and procedures to the principles of UNHCR for procurement. IP procurement policy and procedures must include the following basic elements to be considered for pre-qualification:
- Policy on Local/International Procurement
- Policy statement on competitive bidding
- Procurement responsibilities defined
- Contract types and value-limits defined for high value contracts
- Audit trail (documentation of procurement actions)
These are only minimum requirements. There are several other elements which would be desirable and advantageous to an IP being considered for pre-qualification.
Some of the other major policy objectives for IPs procuring on behalf of UNHCR are:
- Competitive bidding shall be employed in all procurement undertaken by the IP.
- The widest possible base of potential vendors suitable for a specific contract should be invited to bid.
- The IP Procurement Unit is to assure that goods and services are supplied in a timely manner, of adequate quality and quantity and at the lowest cost, which meets the requirements of the Purchase Order or Service Contract.
Further assistance may be obtained from the UNHCR Supply Management Service at Headquarters (E-mail Supply Management Service)