From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
Almost half of all Syrians have been forced to leave home and flee for their lives. One in every eight has fled across the border; a million more than a year ago.
"I feel joy when I think that I will go home. It's better to be a citizen of your country than a refugee in another country," says 66-year-old returnee.
Mama Monique's life has changed drastically. She used to run a successful business selling jewellery. Now she is a widow and living in exile in Burundi.
The past few days have been the deadliest this year on the Mediterranean for people making irregular crossings to Europe, with at least three vessels sinking.
The four Bahati sisters, former Congolese refugees," are making a name in Canada as "Thebahatizz" and using music to highlight the issue of sexual violence.
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- Three boat tragedies in five days on the Mediterranean – scores feared dead
- Iraq crisis aid operation pushes forward, many displaced need accommodation
- UNHCR: Over 20,000 people risked lives in Indian Ocean in first half of 2014
- As South Sudan crisis grows, Ethiopia becomes Africa's biggest refugee-hosting country
- UNHCR in major new humanitarian aid push into northern Iraq
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- Refugee total hits 3 million as Syrians flee growing insecurity and worsening conditions
- Statement by Angelina Jolie, UNHCR Special Envoy, on three million Syrian refugees
- UNHCR aid operation starts as first Boeing 747 touches down in Erbil, Iraq
- Yazidis stream into Syria from Mount Sinjar, UNHCR steps up aid
- UNHCR urges Sri Lanka to stop deporting asylum-seekers to Pakistan