From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
UNHCR calls for humanitarian access to the Beni area of eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo amid a deteriorating security and human rights situation.
The AC Milan Foundation funded the improvements made to the Btekhnay sports centre in Tripoli as part of its Sports for Peace project with the UN refugee agency.
From his hospital bed, a Ukrainian man tells UNHCR his boyhood began in war and, to his distress, his old age is also dominated by conflict.
The United Nations and partners launch a major new humanitarian and development appeal, requesting more than US$8.4 billion to help millions in Syria and the region.
Fleeing war and persecution, many Afghans and Syrians turn to smugglers to help them enter Europe, where they hope to find safety and a better life.
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- UNHCR condemns massacres in Beni, in DR Congo and calls for humanitarian access
- UNHCR, OHCHR appeal to Cambodian authorities to allow access to Vietnamese Montagnards in hiding
- Fighting displaces more than half a million people inside Ukraine, hundreds of thousands more into neighbouring countries
- More people risk lives across Indian Ocean despite abuse, deterrence
- One year after the fall of Bangui, more than 852,000 Central Africans still displaced
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- UN and partners launch major aid plans for Syria and region
- Focus on saving lives, says UNHCR, as numbers of people taking to the seas in search of asylum or migration passes 348,000 globally
- UNHCR, IOM, IMO, UNODC and OHCHR Joint Statement on Protection at Sea in the Twenty-First Century
- Donors pledge an initial US$ 500.8 million for UNHCR operations in 2015
- Governments pledge to take in around 100,000 Syrian refugees