From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
The World Food Programme and UNHCR are working together to resolve the food problem for a total 490,000 refugees in Kakuma and Dadaab camps.
Half of Afghanistan's 5 million returnees were born in exile. The young returnees face many new challenges, but most show remarkable resilience.
Sixteen-year-old Ache from Sudan's Darfur region dreams of finishing her studies, but worries about violence around the Central African Republic town of Bambari.
Violence in the south-eastern province has forced some 400,000 people to flee their homes since the end of 2012, including 71,000 in the past three months.
A first group of 125 refugees left Matar Way Station and headed along the Baro River to the Itang Transit Centre, before heading by road to Pugnido Refugee Camp.
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- UNHCR is alarmed about ignored humanitarian catastrophe in DRC's Katanga province
- UNHCR starts relocation of 15,000 stranded South Sudanese refugees in Ethiopia
- New displacement in east, south and west of Libya
- Sharp increase in number of Eritrean refugees and asylum-seekers in Europe, Ethiopia and Sudan
- UNHCR warns of winter crisis ahead for almost a million displaced people in Iraq, Syria
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- UNHCR launches new airlift to ensure Iraqi displaced are warm this winter
- UN Refugee Agency calls on States to end the immigration detention of children on the 25th anniversary of the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Continuing violence by Boko Haram in Nigeria forces 13,000 people to flee into Cameroon
- Education Above All Launches Multi-Sector Education Project in Kenyan Refugee Camp
- UNHCR welcomes new General Recommendation on refugee and stateless women