From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
UNHCR's Honorary Lifetime Goodwill Ambassador Barbara Hendricks recently saw the impact of government efforts to resolve a problem affecting hundreds of thousands of people.
The UN refugee agency and 16 partners are seeking urgent funds as CAR refugees continue to flee into the region in increasingly bad shape, especially in Cameroon.
Said Foundation will pay for two-thirds of the scholarships UNHCR plans to give for Syrian refugees to attend university in Jordan and Lebanon this year
António Guterres warns that time is running out to prevent a disastrous sectarian war and fragmentation of Iraq
Serbia is working to solve the problems of Roma displaced from Kosovo like Raman, who is still struggling to gain the full rights of citizenship.
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- UNHCR renews call on donors to support Central African Republic refugees
- UNHCR calls for massive boost in funding as worsening situation in South Sudan fuels regional refugee crisis
- UNHCR urges Europe to do more for Syrian refugees
- Latest boat tragedy off Libya adds to rising death toll in Mediterranean
- UNHCR deplores deportation of Laotian refugee from Thailand
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- 145,000 Syrian refugee women fight for survival as they head families alone.
- Returns to Sri Lanka of individuals intercepted at sea
- UNHCR calls for end to detention of asylum-seekers and refugees
- UNHCR warns of dramatic consequences if funding gaps for Syrian refugees continue
- Heads of WFP & UNHCR issue urgent appeal as food shortages hit nearly 800,000 refugees in Africa.