From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
Through her colourful artwork, 26-year-old Manizha captures the untold stories of Afghan women
UN High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres marks annual 16 Days of Activism against Sexual and Gender-Based Violence with call for safe education
Shiraz, a Syrian asylum-seeker from Aleppo, is learning how to cycle so she can get around like the locals in her new home in Germany.
New and uncoordinated restrictions at some borders in the region leave 1,000 people stranded and prompt some to protest by sewing their mouths shut.
Peacebuilding programme brings standpipes to village where children risked their lives crossing a busy highway on a daily trek to fetch water
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- UNHCR warns of new humanitarian problems building at crossings from Greece into the Balkans
- Joint UNHCR, IOM, and UNICEF statement on new border restrictions in the Balkans
- Refugees in Lebanon caught in vicious debt cycle
- After Paris Attacks, Refugees should not be turned into scapegoats
- UNHCR ramping up support on Greece's Lesvos, focus on sea rescue and improved reception
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- Fast Retailing and UNHCR Announce New Agreement
- IKEA stores around the world to raise funds to brighten lives for refugees
- Secretary-General welcomes election of his nominee, Filippo Grandi of Italy as United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Three new winners claim UNHCR Award for Best Research on Statelessness in 2015
- High Commissioner welcomes nomination of successor