From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
Some 125,000 refugees living in the most affected Bekaa area in eastern Lebanon have received winter kits and 55,000 more will be reached in the coming days.
With record numbers of internally displaced people, UNHCR's Guterres appeals for greater efforts to help
At the opening of the 2013 High Commissioner's Dialogue, Guterres urges governments, NGOs and academics to strengthen partnerships to tackle the growing problem.
UNHCR offices and some 10,000 people across the country spread awareness about the scourge in a series of events marking the annual 16 Days campaign.
Fear and fresh fighting have driven more than 100,000 people out of their homes in the last five days. Many are sleeping rough in the rain.
As the harsh winter sets in, up to 22 cargo flights are planned to bring food and relief supplies to vulnerable people in inaccessible areas in north-eastern Syria.
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- 108,000 displaced in Bangui, call for security in their neighbourhoods
- Three million and counting: The rising humanitarian crisis inside Syria
- UNHCR releases new guidelines on refugee claims related to military service
- Renewed violence in CAR causes more people to flee into DRCongo
- UNHCR launches emergency operation to improve conditions for refugees and asylum seekers in Bulgaria
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- Statement by UNHCR Special Envoy Angelina Jolie on the passing of the 1000th day of the Syrian conflict
- UNHCR and partners in operation to help refugees amid winter storm
- Donors promise initial US$ 671.6 million for UNHCR operations in 2014
- One month on, typhoon Haiyan survivors start to return home
- Statement by UN High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres on the death of Nelson Mandela