From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
Widow Lidia receives a small amount of money from the government to compensate for helping two families, but acts above all out of a sense of solidarity and humanitarianism.
Nigerian refugees, who fled previous attacks by insurgents in north-eastern Nigeria, are asking to be moved away from the border area as quickly as possible.
Displaced women in Kachin state are learning to sew, knit and make soap as part of an initiative to organize themselves, address protection concerns and help their community.
During a tour of Ifo 2 camp, the UN chief calls the situation in the Dadaab refugee complex a man-made tragedy that would never have happened had leaders listened more to their people.
Rogge welcomes plans to build IOC-fund sports complex in Azraq camp that will help Syrian children overcome the trauma of war and displacement.
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- Niger: attacks near refugee areas prompt Malian refugees to flee camp
- Nigeria crisis: border insecurity hampers relocation of refugees to camp in Cameroon
- UNHCR concerned over attempt to legalize automatic returns from Spanish enclaves
- Ukraine displacement worsening as winter looms
- 2014 becomes the deadliest year at sea off Yemen
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- UN Secretary General's Humanitarian Envoy and UN High Commissioner for Refugees praise Sudan for generously welcoming South Sudanese refugees
- "Investing in the Future" conference opens in Sharjah, UAE: Every minute another child is forced to flee in the Arab World
- On eve of Lampedusa disaster anniversary, UNHCR warns that irregular Mediterranean crossings becoming more deadly
- UNHCR Executive Committee renews commitment to Africa's refugees
- With forced displacement at a record high, UN High Commissioner for Refugees appeals for rethink of global humanitarian financing