From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
At the border with Serbia the flow of refugees, despite a wire fence erected by the Hungarian authorities, is unceasing
Guterres says EU faces defining moment in which no country can go it alone nor refuse to do its part
Student returns to Somalia with dream of becoming a doctor
Horvlika and other nearby areas north of Donetsk in Eastern Ukraine saw heavy fighting in August
Life was shattered in 1998 during Togo's presidential election campaign.
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- UNHCR delivers humanitarian assistance post-August fighting in eastern Ukraine
- Bodies found dead in a truck near border, while asylum seekers flow into Hungary
- Mediterranean Sea crossings exceed 300,000, including 200,000 to Greece.
- UNHCR urges States to help avert Bay of Bengal boat crisis in coming weeks
- UNHCR welcomes signing of South Sudan peace deal as refugee and IDP numbers surpass 2.6 million mark
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- Statement by UN High Commissioner for Refugees, António Guterres on refugee crisis in Europe
- Chair of UNHCR Executive Committee visits Afghanistan to show solidarity and continued international commitment
- UNHCR ExCom Chair Ambassador Comissário visits Iran
- 50,000 Afghan refugees from Pakistan returned this year under UNHCR voluntary programme
- Clashes in Central African Republic town of Bambari displaces thousands