From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
One shot and the 18-year-old was dead, adding to the toll of young Honduran males who are attacked, killed or disappear after being deported from the US or Mexico.
More than 14,000 people have crossed Lake Chad since early January when militants attacked their homes in and around the north-east Nigerian town of Baga.
The UN refugee agency distributes enough sheeting to help more than 1,000 people whose homes were damaged or destroyed when the port town came under fire.
Humanitarian situation has deteriorated dramatically since UNHCR Special Envoy's last Iraq visit in September 2012
Grave concerns that violence in the Central African Republic will continue, forcing growing numbers of people to flee their homes
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- As refugees continue to flee violence in the Central African Republic, UNHCR and partners renew appeal for more support
- UNHCR calls for unimpeded access in eastern Ukraine; concerns over government resolutions worsening plight of displaced
- UNHCR concern over refugee returns to Nigeria / refugees continue arriving in Chad and Niger.
- Upsurge in Libya fighting triggers new displacement
- Thousands of refugees flee insurgent attacks in north-east Nigeria
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- African Union and UNHCR push for the right to nationality in Africa
- UNHCR Special Envoy Angelina Jolie visits Iraq, calls for international leadership to end suffering caused by regional conflicts
- UNHCR and ITC partner to support economic empowerment for refugees
- UNHCR study shows rapid deterioration in living conditions of Syrian refugees in Jordan
- UNHCR report shows further growth in forced displacement in first half 2014