From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
Central African refugees practice capoiera in front of a rapt audience at Mole camp in Equateur province, Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Liuba arrived by train in Kharkiv, seeking escape from fighting in the east and medical treatment for her injured eye. She felt desperate.
Tamara's story is complicated and sad. She is an internally displaced person in her own town of Nikolaevka, a poor place of 16,000 inhabitants in Ukraine.
Businessman Farhad Sinjari has been forcibly displaced three times since 1974. That's why he decided to help Iraqis seeking shelter in Duhok city.
The majority, some 80 per cent, are internally displaced in Somalia, including 80,000 people fleeing their homes because of military conflict.
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- Over 100,000 people displaced in Somalia so far this year as IDPs bear brunt of food insecurity crisis
- UNHCR and partners call for urgent funding, as more people are being displaced by violence in northeast Nigeria
- UNHCR urges Sri Lanka to stop deportations and provide protection to refugees and asylum-seekers
- Iraq aid operation enters new phase, pressure on accommodation still intense with winter looming
- Recent Attacks in Nigeria prompt new refugees to Cameroon, more continue to arrive
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- High Commissioner for Refugees Guterres and Special Envoy Jolie warn of escalating crisis in the Mediterranean
- UNHCR and Tilburg university host first global forum on Statelessness
- Colombian Women's Rights Network to Receive World's Top Refugee Award
- Refugee total hits 3 million as Syrians flee growing insecurity and worsening conditions
- Statement by Angelina Jolie, UNHCR Special Envoy, on three million Syrian refugees