From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
Guterres says it would be dangerous to ignore country, praises generosity of Iran and Pakistan
High Commissioner stresses there are now more than 60 million refugees, asylum-seekers and internally displaced persons in the world
Struggle of an Afghan youngster for a brighter future through DAFI scholarship
UNHCR presents Nansen Refugee Award to Afghan refugee teacher
Tasnim, a 12-year-old refugee from Syria, lost a hand after a shell hit her home but that is not stopping her from scoring top marks at school in Lebanon.
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- Arrivals by sea in Greece nearing 400,000, implementation of relocation and increased reception capacity still urgently needed
- UNHCR seeking urgent access to thousands fleeing Bangui, CAR violence
- Seven factors behind movement of Syrian refugees to Europe
- UNHCR regrets decision to expel its staff from Luhansk region of Ukraine, appeals to unhindered access
- UNHCR outlines proposals to manage refugee and migration crisis in Europe ahead of EU Summit
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- Opening remarks at the 66th session of the Executive Committee of the High Commissioner's Programme. António Guterres, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. Geneva, 5 October 2015
- UNHCR welcomes change in Nauru's detention policy
- Ministerial Meeting on the Comprehensive Solutions Strategy for Rwandan Refugees Joint Communiqué
- UNHCR: Africa set to conclude one of its longest-standing refugee situations
- Refugee emergency in Europe: UNHCR appeals for USD 128 million