From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
UNHCR chief warns that Syria crisis at dangerous tipping point, as humanitarian needs outpace funding
António Guterres tells donors that failing to provide adequate help to refugees and their host countries could destabilize the entire region
Measures that make it more difficult to enter the EU are forcing people seeking international protection to take increasingly dangerous route to enter
A refugee mother is grateful for the identity card given to her by the Sudanese authorities after experiencing a potentially fatal labour in Khartoum.
Najib fled with his family after his wife was tormented by morality police. Now he finds therapy in practising sports and coaching fellow asylum-seekers.
The primary school in Kakuma that the UNHCR Special Envoy set up in 2002 recorded an 86 percent pass rate
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- UNHCR calls for an investigation into the death of two Iraqis at the Bulgaria-Turkey border, raises concerns over border practices
- Central African Republic: UNHCR strongly condemns the kidnapping of Congolese refugees by LRA rebels
- UN refugee chief Guterres visits Nigerian refugees in Northern Cameroon
- Over 120,000 displaced as conflict continues in southern Philippines
- UNHCR begins the relocation of 50,000 flood-affected refugees in Ethiopia
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- Third International Humanitarian Pledging Conference for Syria. Remarks by António Guterres, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. Kuwait City, 31 March 2015
- Wars in Syria and Iraq drive highest asylum numbers in 22 years
- UNHCR Special Envoy Angelina Jolie Pitt statement as the conflict in Syria entered its fifth year
- Refugees endure worsening conditions as Syria's conflict enters 5th year
- UNHCR unveils far-reaching proposals for European action in the Mediterranean Sea