From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
A hands-on workshop in Burkina Faso is helping Malian refugees to develop new products and the business skills to tap international markets.
Twelve-year-old Syrian schoolgirl Hanan bore the Olympic flame on the first stage of its relay across Brazil to the Olympic Games opening ceremony in Rio on August 5.
The actor joins the UN Refugee Agency at a time of unprecedented crisis as nearly 60 million people are displaced worldwide.
Refugees describe desperate efforts to rescue family members after overcrowded boat overturned in the Mediterranean
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- Burundians continuing to flee the country one year after crisis began
- Ecuador aid distribution update
- Access to jobs improving for Syrian refugees in Jordan
- South Sudan refugee outflow continues, UNHCR reports severe funding shortfall
- UNHCR begins the relocation of Mozambican asylum-seekers to Luwani camp, Malawi
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- Syrian refugee to run with the Olympic torch in Brasilia
- UNHCR Calls for Immediate Movement of Refugees and Asylum-Seekers to Humane Conditions
- Cate Blanchett appointed UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador
- UNHCR Assistant High Commissioner George Okoth-Obbo Commends Iran on Stabilising Refugee Communities in the Country
- Survivors report massive loss of life in latest Mediterranean Sea tragedy