Victim says CAR needs justice before there can be reconciliation

News Stories, 4 April 2014

© UNHCR/D.Alachi
Marie-Hélène had to collect pieces of her murdered father's body to bury him but still tells people not to take justice into their own hands.

BANGUI, Central African Republic, April 4 (UNHCR) Although Marie-Hélène* has directly experienced the horror and brutality of the conflict in Central African Republic, she is seeking justice rather than revenge.

The violence in Central African Republic has been marked since last December by its scale and ferocity as well as a new development attacks based on religion that has been tearing apart the social fabric of the country.

António Guterres told the UN Security Council last month that the "brutality and inhumanity" he heard about in the Central African Republic in February had caused him the most anguish of any trip in his eight years as UN High Commissioner for Refugees.

Marie-Hélène worked as a hospital nurse in Bossangoa, a town straddling the Ouham River some 300 kilometres north of Bangui. It was a place where Christians and Muslims had lived happily side-by-side for generations.

A mother of nine, she lived with her children and parents in Baton village, 10 kms from Bossangoa. Her father was a priest who was kept busy on Sundays by the large congregation attending mass.

Like others, they worried when the Seleka, a predominantly Muslim rebel coalition, captured the capital Bangui in March 2013 but they never really thought the conflict would come to them. It did. Last September Seleka forces attacked their village.

Marie-Helene and her family fled to the archbishop's residence in Bossangoa, where more than 10,000 scared Christians remain. On October 6, a Sunday, the family decided to return to Baton because their father was determined not to miss mass. While the family sat in a mango orchard, the old priest went to the church and rang the bell to summon his congregation. Instead, the Seleka turned up

"We saw a car of Seleka getting closer and closer to the chapel. Several armed men entered and we heard the gunfire," said Marie-Hélène. She and her brothers were only able to enter the chapel after the Seleka left the next day. Marie-Hélène collected her father's body, piece by piece, before burying him in his chapel.

Marie-Hélène heard rumors in Bossangoa that she and her family were wanted, so they fled. "We went to Bossembele by bus. From Bossembele to Boali, we walked, and then we took a taxi that drove us to the capital. It took us 10 days before we arrived to the airport site where we felt safe."

Marie-Hélène is now active in the displaced community, constantly doing visits for UNHCR's partner Premiere Urgence as an outreach facilitator, referring vulnerable people such as women victims of sexual violence and abandoned children to aid organizations. She tries to ensure needy people get health care.

Alongside these activities, she tries to promote peace in her own way: "It is retaliatory violence and unfortunately people are taking law into their own hand. I always tell my brothers and members of my community to be patient, and never use violence to get justice."

More than 2,000 people have died in fighting between Seleka and anti-Balaka fighters since December. The weakness of the state and the non-existent criminal justice system in the Central Africa Republic have exacerbated the situation. Even if police arrest a criminal, there is no structure to prosecute the person. Courts and prisons are not functioning.

This prevents people from pursuing crimes such as murder via the justice system, prompting them to seek justice outside. It is tearing apart the society. Alongside establishing security, support to rebuilding the justice system will be invaluable in healing Central Africans' wounds.

"How can I reconcile when my father's cold-blooded assassination was not acknowledged. How do you want me to reconcile when in front of me I have armed men?" she said. "We want justice."

Renewed inter-communal violence late in March has triggered fresh displacement. The number of internally displaced people in CAR has risen to 637,000, including 207,000 in Bangui, and some 317,000 refugees are in neighbouring countries.

"I will never go back to Bossangoa. I cannot. I am so afraid of being in front of my father's assassins one day," said Marie-Hélène. "Too many horrors took place. We need to turn the page."

*Identity is withheld for security reasons

By Dalia Al Achi in Bangui, Central African Republic

• DONATE NOW •

 

• GET INVOLVED • • STAY INFORMED •

UNHCR country pages

Central African Republic: Urgent Appeal

You can help save the lives of thousands of refugees

Donate to this crisis

A Central African Refugee's Reunion With Her Sons Brings Joy and Sorrow

The violence and conflict in the Central African Republic has forced hundreds of thousands of people to flee their homes since mid-December. Many have sought refuge in neighbouring countries, including 80,000 in Cameroon. During the trauma and confusion of flight, families often become separated. They face many dangers on the way to safety, and their journey can take many weeks. Ramatou, a 45-year-old mother of 11 children, was separated from three of her sons and her husband when militiamen attacked her village in January. She ran in one direction with eight children and eventually made it to Cameroon with the help of African Union peace-keepers. Her husband and three sons ran in a different direction and endured many ordeals in the bush, becoming separated again. Earlier this month, Ramatou was reunited in Cameroon's Mbile Refugee Camp with the two youngest boys. She was overjoyed, but dismayed that they were on their own. She still hopes for her husband and eldest son to turn up. Photographer Fred Noy was there at the emotional reunion.

A Central African Refugee's Reunion With Her Sons Brings Joy and Sorrow

Batalimo to Batanga and Beyond: Congolese Return Home from CAR

Over the past month, almost 6,300 refugees from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) have left the Batalimo camp in the troubled Central African Republic and returned voluntarily to their homes in Equateur province. Their decision to go back is a further sign of the gravity of the situation in Central African Republic, where escalated violence since December has left hundreds of thousands internally displaced and forced almost 350,000 to flee to neighbouring countries. The refugees at Batalimo were among some 20,000 Congolese who had fled to the Central African Republic to escape inter-ethnic conflict back home. The return operation from Batalimo had been postponed several times for security and logistical reasons, but on April 10 the first convoy headed across the Oubangui River. The last arrived in the DRC on May 10. The UN refugee agency organized transportation of the refugees from Batalimo to the Central African Republic riverside town of Zinga, where they boarded boats for the crossing to Batanga or Libenge in Equateur province. In Batanga, the returnees were registered, provided with documentation and given a cash grant to help them reintegrate. They were then transported to their villages, where they will be monitored. Photographer Leonora Baumann followed one group back to the DRC.

Batalimo to Batanga and Beyond: Congolese Return Home from CAR

2014: CAR refugees attacked as they flee to Cameroon

Each week 10,000 Muslims cross into eastern Cameroon to escape the violence consuming the Central African Republic (CAR). Many new arrivals report that they have been repeatedly attacked as they fled. The anti-Balaka militiamen have blocked main roads to Cameroon, forcing people to find alternate routes through the bush. Many are walking two to three months to reach Cameroon, arriving malnourished and bearing wounds from machetes and gunshots.

UNHCR and its partners have established additional mobile clinics at entry points to provide emergency care as refugees arrive. The UN refugee agency is also supporting public health centres that have been overwhelmed by the number of refugees and their condition.

Meanwhile, UNHCR has relocated some 20,000 refugees who had been living in the open in the Garoua Bouai and Kenzou border areas, bringing them to new sites at Lolo, Mborguene, Gado and Borgop in the East and Adamwa regions.

Since the beginning of the year, Cameroon has received nearly 70,000 refugees from CAR, adding to the 92,000 who fled in earlier waves since 2004 to escape rebel groups and bandits in the north of their country.

UNHCR staff members Paul Spiegel and Michele Poletto recently travelled to eastern Cameroon and have the following photos to share from their iPhone and camera.

2014: CAR refugees attacked as they flee to Cameroon

Joint Appeal: Help Needed for Central African RefugeesPlay video

Joint Appeal: Help Needed for Central African Refugees

The UN refugee agency and its partners appealed for more donor support to cope with the continuing outflow and deteriorating condition of refugees from the Central African Republic.
UNHCR's Dr. Paul Spiegel on the Border of CAR  and CameroonPlay video

UNHCR's Dr. Paul Spiegel on the Border of CAR and Cameroon

This video was shot by one of our staff* using a mobile phone as they helped refugees who had crossed the river to safety.
Central African Republic: Torn CommunitiesPlay video

Central African Republic: Torn Communities

For more than a year, inter-communal strife has displaced tens of thousands of people in the Central African Republic. But amid the violence, efforts are being made to promote reconciliation.