Congolese refugees flee to Sudan to escape Lord's Resistance Army

News Stories, 27 January 2009

© UNMIS/J.Hattingh
A Congolese refugee in South Sudan after fleeing fighting involving the rebel Lord's Resistance Army.

LASU, Sudan, January 27 (UNHCR) Recent attacks by the rebel Lord's Resistance Army in north-eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) have driven thousands of Congolese to South Sudan.

A UNHCR team last weekend visited the Sudanese village of Lasu, 50 kilometres from the DRC border, and registered 680 uprooted Congolese, most of them from the village of Aba. They said they fled their homes last week following an attack by the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), a rebel group from Uganda.

The total number of refugees in Lasu is estimated at up to 2,000 and UNHCR is continuing verification. The team found out that many parents had gone back to the DRC to search for food for their children, man of whom had gone several days without eating.

"Most of the refugee population in Lasu is living in the open, under trees. They are relying largely on the generosity of the local population, but far outnumber the local residents, who have only limited food stocks," said a UNHCR spokesman, adding that the World Food Programme (WFP) was dispatching a one-month food ration today from the South Sudan capital, Juba, while UNHCR is reviewing emergency assistance to the refugees.

Lonyiyo, a 26-year-old mother of three, told the UNHCR team in Lasu that she had fled her home after hearing that LRA fighters had gone on an orgy of killing, raping, looting and kidnapping during an attack on a village some eight kilometres away. She did not know the whereabouts of her husband, who was on his way to a market when the news of the attack came through.

The pregnant woman was worried about where to stay and how to feed her children. She was also concerned about medical facilities for when she gave birth. At least two of the displaced Congolese have given birth since arriving in Lasu, local officials said.

Meanwhile, another UNHCR team has visited Ezo, closer to the border with the Central African Republic and the DRC, to assess the situation of some 2,000 Congolese refugees who fled there some weeks ago following LRA attacks in the north-west of Dungu district in DRC's Orientale province.

They found that all the refugees were living in huts in Napere, a spontaneous camp located 2 kms north of Ezo. The lack of food is also a serious problem in the Ezo area, which previously received many of its supplies from the DRC.

The local community is unable to support the refugees, who are compelled to seek food in the bush. WFP planned to send food from Juba on Tuesday. Children are showing signs of malnourishment. Lack of clean water, drugs and medical care are also affecting the refugees.

In Ezo, a young Congolese woman named Mary recalled the ordeal she and her four children had been through before reaching Sudan. Her husband was killed when the LRA attacked her village, but she managed to hide.

She joined an exodus of other survivors and headed towards Ezo with one child on her back and an infant, Josephine, in her arms while the two older children walked. They reached Ezo on January 4 and were directed to Napere camp.

Mary was allocated a plot and shelter in the camp, but her ordeal was not over. She struggled to feed the family and soon after the UNHCR team arrived, her daughter Josephine died from the effects of diaorrhea and fever. Help came too late for her.

"Humanitarian assistance remains hampered by the volatile security situation in this area as well as by the limited accessibility. The airstrip in Ezo is not operational and roads are only usable during the dry season," the UNHCR spokesman said. Although South Sudan is in the dry season at the moment, there have been heavy rains in Western and Central Equatoria states in recent days. There are also many thousands of displaced Sudanese in Western Equatoria as a result of LRA attacks within South Sudan.

In a separate development, UNHCR is continuing the transfer of refugees from the Gangura and Yambio areas in South Sudan, near the DRC border, to Makpandu, 44 kms north-east of Yambio. To date, the refugee agency has moved 822 people. These refugees are part of a larger group of more than 6,000 people who escaped LRA attacks on their villages near Dungu last September.

By Monique Rudacogora in Lasu
and Michael Owor in Ezo, Sudan

• DONATE NOW •

 

• GET INVOLVED • • STAY INFORMED •

DR Congo Crisis: Urgent Appeal

Intense fighting has forced more than 64,000 Congolese to flee the country in recent months.

Donate to this crisis

South Sudan Crisis: Urgent Appeal

Donate now and help to provide emergency aid to tens of thousands of people fleeing South Sudan to escape violence.

Donate to this crisis

Public Health

The health of refugees and other displaced people is a priority for UNHCR.

Related Internet Links

UNHCR is not responsible for the content and availability of external internet sites

Health crisis in South Sudan

There are roughly 105,000 refugees in South Sudan's Maban County. Many are at serious health risk. UNHCR and its partners are working vigorously to prevent and contain the outbreak of malaria and several water-borne diseases.

Most of the refugees, especially children and the elderly, arrived at the camps in a weakened condition. The on-going rains tend to make things worse, as puddles become incubation areas for malaria-bearing mosquitoes. Moderately malnourished children and elderly can easily become severely malnourished if they catch so much as a cold.

The problems are hardest felt in Maban County's Yusuf Batil camp, where as many as 15 per cent of the children under 5 are severely malnourished.

UNHCR and its partners are doing everything possible to prevent and combat illness. In Yusuf Batil camp, 200 community health workers go from home to home looking educating refugees about basic hygene such as hand washing and identifying ill people as they go. Such nutritional foods as Plumpy'nut are being supplied to children who need them. A hospital dedicated to the treatment of cholera has been established. Mosquito nets have been distributed throughout the camps in order to prevent malaria.

Health crisis in South Sudan

UNHCR/Partners Bring Aid to North Kivu

As a massive food distribution gets underway in six UNHCR-run camps for tens of thousands of internally displaced Congolese in North Kivu, the UN refugee agency continues to hand out desperately needed shelter and household items.

A four-truck UNHCR convoy carrying 33 tonnes of various aid items, including plastic sheeting, blankets, kitchen sets and jerry cans crossed Wednesday from Rwanda into Goma, the capital of the conflict-hit province in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). The aid, from regional emergency stockpiles in Tanzania, was scheduled for immediate distribution. The supplies arrived in Goma as the World Food Programme (WFP), with assistance from UNHCR, began distributing food to some 135,000 displaced people in the six camps run by the refugee agency near Goma.

More than 250,000 people have been displaced since the fighting resumed in August in North Kivu. Estimates are that there are now more than 1.3 million displaced people in this province alone.

Posted on 6 November 2008

UNHCR/Partners Bring Aid to North Kivu

Southerners on the move before Sudanese vote

Ahead of South Sudan's landmark January 9, 2011 referendum on independence, tens of thousands of southern Sudanese in the North packed their belongings and made the long trek south. UNHCR set up way stations at key points along the route to provide food and shelter to the travellers during their arduous journey. Several reports of rapes and attacks on travellers reinforced the need for these reception centres, where women, children and people living with disabilities can spend the night. UNHCR has made contingency plans in the event of mass displacement after the vote, including the stockpiling of shelter and basic provisions for up to 50,000 people.

Southerners on the move before Sudanese vote

South Sudan: Adut's strugglePlay video

South Sudan: Adut's struggle

Thousands in war-torn South Sudan have lost their homes and livelihoods. When seventeen year old Adut lost her parents, she also lost her childhood by taking on the role of mom and dad for her young siblings. But, despite the everyday struggle, she is finding new skills and new hope in exile.
South Sudan: Grandma Abuk's ChildrenPlay video

South Sudan: Grandma Abuk's Children

Years of violence and bloodshed in South Sudan robbed Abuk of her seven children. When fighting returned last year, the old lady fled anew with her grandchildren, hampered by deteriorating eyesight.
South Sudan: No Home To Return ToPlay video

South Sudan: No Home To Return To

Philip and his family fled from their home in the South Sudan town of Bor last December and found shelter in the capital, Juba. Recently they decided to return home, despite the risks. It took three arduous days to get back, but then they got there they found that their home had been destroyed.